I want to volunteer. Do I have to sign up via VolunteerHub?
- Yes, you must create a free VolunteerHub account to register for a volunteer shift. If you are volunteering for an Eastern State Penitentiary or Azalea Garden workday, there is no need to register—just show up.
I don’t have email. How can I volunteer?
- An email is required to create an account on VolunteerHub. If you do not have an email account, we suggest creating a free one using Gmail or Yahoo.
Do I have to be a member of PHS to volunteer?
- No, you do not need to be a member of PHS to volunteer for most jobs. (At the Flower Show, exceptions are Early Morning Tour Guide, Members’ Lounge, Membership Ambassador, or Membership Sales Booth.) However, we invite you to join the thousands of people who support the PHS mission through membership. The benefits are far-reaching for you and the community, and growing all the time.
Why does VolunteerHub ask for my age?
- Most volunteer positions are only available to individuals 18 and older. This information is necessary to determine whether you need to provide certain waivers.
Why do you need waivers?
- Volunteers for activities that involve direct contact with children must complete Pennsylvania State background checks before they can be assigned shifts. These background checks are free to volunteers.
- Volunteers (adult and youth) at outdoor sites must complete and sign a Volunteer Registration Form (also known as “Waiver of right to sue and release from liability for participation as a volunteer in a PHS activity”).
Do I have to sign up for more than one shift?
- Some activities are one-time-only, such as tree-plantings or park workdays. However, for the Flower Show, we recommend volunteering for two or more shifts throughout the week so that you become familiar with the role and have a better volunteer experience.
Do I have to fill out another volunteer application?
- No. The information you enter in VolunteerHub takes the place of an application. However, certain volunteer positions may require an interview. For example, Horticulture Information volunteers need specific education and knowledge about plants. Tour Bus Greeters must be articulate with excellent guest service skills to interact with Show guests who need clear direction.
I volunteered for the Flower Show in the past but don’t see my regular job on VolunteerHub. How do I sign up?
- Volunteer jobs that require additional backgrounds or training are not listed on the main VolunteerHub page. Instead, these jobs are assigned unique VolunteerHub URLs.
- As a return volunteer, you will receive an email in the fall with a link for your specific job. If you believe you should have received this email and haven’t, email email@example.com. Don’t forget to check your email’s spam folder.
Is there a dress code?
Volunteers must dress appropriately for the particular volunteer job.
- At PHS headquarters, dress is business casual.
- In a garden setting, sturdy shoes with laces (no flip-flops or sandals) and long pants like jeans are appropriate. If it’s hot in the garden, shorts might be a better choice.
- At the Flower Show, volunteers on the Show floor prior to the Show opening may wear jeans, but once the Show is open to the public, jeans are not appropriate. It’s cold on the Show floor, so it’s smart to layer clothing to keep warm. Keep in mind that you are meeting thousands of Show guests and want to make the best first impression possible. Hats and shorts are not appropriate attire. Wear comfortable shoes, as the floors are very hard and you’ll be on your feet. Garden Tea volunteers are asked to dress in all black. Aprons are provided.
How is volunteer service recognized or rewarded?
- Volunteers at the Flower Show receive a free ticket in order to enter the Show to do their job (and enjoy the Show when their shift is over).
- PHS awards pins in recognition of the number of years a volunteer has served (5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 50).
- Volunteers are invited to many PHS events throughout the year.
- Volunteers may be invited to serve on Show committees and in other leadership capacities at PHS.
I like to garden. What sort of opportunities are there for me?
- Community Greening Workdays (see listings under Eastern State Penitentiary and Azalea Garden)
- Gardening and Greening Contest (contestant or judge)
- Meadowbrook Farm gardening
- Tree plantings
- PHS Rittenhouse Flower Market in the spring